We’ve curated 39 of the most interesting painting tips and DIY hacks from around the internet for your enjoyment. So whether you’re into painting, DIY, organising or decorating, there just might be something to help you out on your next project below. Get on your overalls, give them a go and enjoy! And let us know if you’ve tried any of these before. Don’t forget to look at our Gardening Hacks series too!
1. Avoid painting screws/keyholes by covering them with Vaseline.
2. Try this handy spray paint trick in box to keep things tidy.
3. Did you know you can use onions to absorb paint fumes?
4. Catch paint drops by attaching a container lid to your brush.
5. Use aluminium foil to protect taps and other awkward objects while painting.
6. Before painting metal, wipe it down with vinegar to keep the paint from peeling.
7. Soak gunky paintbrushes in hot vinegar for 30 minutes to clean them.
8. To get an antique “shabby chic” look, rub a candle over the wood.
9. Put your paintbrush in the fridge to keep it soft for use the next day without having to clean it.
10. Place a garbage bag over the toilet tank so you can paint around it easily.
11. Use tape to paint a door and protect the hinges.
12. Use a lint roller to take the fuzz off your paint roller before you start painting.
13. Cover your paint tray in a plastic bag and never bother with cleaning it again!
14. Make a convenient paint and paint brush holder from a plastic bottle.
15. Did you know you can paint concrete for a great effect outdoors?
16. Store a paint roller in a plastic bag inside a Pringles can for extra convenience.
17. Add a tablespoon of vanilla extract to dull the smell of paint with heavy fumes.
18. Place old tape in the microwave for 10 seconds and it will peel again.